Christmas present for Galina
SteN
2011-12-23 12:29:06 UTC
http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n266996

Alexander of Macedonia painted in the church in Radovish as a Christian
saint 300 years before Christianity
23 December 2011 | 13:41 | FOCUS News Agency
Home / Southeast Europe and Balkans
Skopje. Alexander the Macedonian has been painted in the new Trinity
Church in Radovish, as a Christian saint, nearly 300 years before the
advent of Christianity, Macedonian media announced. The idea is of the
founder of the temple - Risto Gushterov, U.S. businessman who has
decided that among the Christian saints must place not only Alexander
than, and his father - Philip II of Macedonia.
In an interview for Dnevnik daily Risto Gushterov, the businessman who
sponsored the building of the church, said: "I wanted to mark the
Macedonian people historically. Therefore Macedonians Alexander the
Great and his father - Philip II of Macedonia, Saints Cyril and
Methodius, Saint Clement of Ohrid, Saint Naum of Ohrid have their
prominent place. Here is the star of Vergina, for which we tolerate
attacks from our southern neighbor, which what us to remove it from our
national flag. Interestingly, the paintings are made by masters of
Russians and Ukrainians. Before paint them, they had visited the most
beautiful Macedonian churches and monasteries. In their paintings are
intertwined traditions that were created here since 2000 years, but also
- and modern art. Because it is a shame that the Macedonian Radio and
Television declined the request of the Macedonian Orthodox Church for
the direct transmission of the blessing ceremony of the temple ...".
Businessman Risto Gushterov is connected with Bulgaria; it became clear
from the same interview. On question - where lies his business activity
Gushterov replied that currently his business is in Skopje. I have
certain activities in the construction industry in Poland, I have
business in USA, Florida, he said. In Bulgaria I have hotel business in
Sofia and Varna, as well - I have business in Russia, Gushterov says.
The painting of the temple is associated with a scandal. Originally the
businessman from Florida Risto Gushterov, leader of the Liberal Party,
gave a USD 90,000 for the painting.
++
2011-12-23 20:45:25 UTC
Post by SteN
[...]
Very special, Stefan, but I follow the Nativity of Christ on the
Julian calendar. Still, a present is a present. I used to belong to
a church in Meridan , CT when I was a young thing. It was the first
Orthodox choir I sang in seriously and I still harbor great love for
the place. The iconography, by a Serb parishioner, was spectacular
for its day and the entire ceiling was painted with various kinds of
stylized stars in its blue heaven. At any rate, the iconographer had
a vision one night and on the base of a pillar not yet decorated, he
painted Nicholas and Alexandra with the kind of halos (square) given
to those considered blessed but not yet sainted. This kind of started
the ball rolling for their beatification in the US, which preceded
their beatification in Russia. They were martyred, after all, despite
everything else. Their icons were painted after the general painting
of the church

http://www.sspeterpaul.org/about.html

So there is a tradition, even apart from church donors, an honorable
tradition, of wishful thinking in the sainthood department. People
have tried to beatify Stalin, the Tolstoi family tried to resuscitate
and convert their illustrious but condemned ancestor Leo, and that
Albanian enemy of Albanian language St. Kosmas the New Hieromartyr &
Equal-to-the Apostles of Aetolia was beatified along with a previously
despised St. Nektarios of Aegina, previously thrown out of his see at
Pentapolis for conversing in Arabic with the natives.

Fashions come and go, along with empires

Speaking of which, enjoy the following:

http://icfa.doaks.org/collections/artamonoff/
Lyngos
2011-12-30 03:32:41 UTC
Post by ++
Post by SteN
[...]
I didn't realize that Alexander the Great was living after the era of
Christ,Saints,their beatifications,Tolstoi,Stalin and so on.
Oh well...must be the Skopian way of thinking.

Happy New Year to all with Health and lots of money.

L.